Valhalla Basin Winter Galactic Olympics Latest! (Events and Locations)
Galactic Olympic Wannabe?? Do You Have What It Takes?!!!
As any self-respecting Galactic Olympic enthusiast will be very happily well aware, the 2014 Valhalla Basin Galactic Olympics is now in full swing. Meteoritic medals are being won, and a variety of arms and legs are in danger of being broken, along with a smattering of other appendages as brave and heroic Galactic athletes take breath-taking risks hurtling down icy bob sleigh runs and mind-blowing ski slopes, snowboarding at break-neck speeds on tiny little “tea trays.” 😉 and spinning gracefully around zero-gravity ice rinks to name but a few.
Naturally the hard-core Galactic Olympic enthusiast will have been overcome by an all-consuming desire to participate in these exciting, heart-stopping winter sports events…so where can you show off your finely honed skills?!! And what’s on offer for you excitable Galactic Olympian wannabes?!!! Look no further for all you need to know about the Galactic Winter Olympic Events and Locations!
Ice Events (Figure Skating, Ice Dancing and Short Track Speed Skating)
- Ice skating on the frosty bright-floored 360 km wide central basin.
- Snowboarding and hi-speed skating around the 8+ concentric frozen mountainous ridges
Nordic Events (X-country skiing and Ski Jumping) Snowboarding events
- X-country skiing around the multi ring structure
- Snowboarding jumps and ski jumping from the centrally-situated domed Doh impact crater dominating Asgard.
- The uneven terrain and tenuous CO2 atmosphere allows athletes to pull off some very impressive stunts during these events!
Europa [Jupiter’s Moon]:
It should also be noted that skiing on Europa will involve:
- Slower acceleration when skiing downhill (Gravity compared to Earth’s, Mars <1/3, Europa <1/7, Moon 1/6)
- Bigger skis maybe necessary to help with turning
- Ski jumping will require longer ramps as there is less acceleration – no air resistance. No air at all in fact!
- Crashes and falls will not lead to lost marks as you will be dead!!!
- Naturally occurring ½ pipes stretching for 100s miles (caused by gravitational tides changing the shape of the surface)
- Tenuous atmosphere means no aerodynamic drag so snowboarders can stand tall going downhill, not the usual crouch. Steering is also easier.
Ice Event: Curling:
- Europa is ideal for this activity having the smoothest surface in the solar system.
Radiation is very harsh on Europa; the result of dangerous belts of radiation from Jupiter’s planetary magnetosphere – the largest and most powerful in the Solar System. So don’t forget your radiation suit and iodine tablets! And remember! Snowboarding/skiing in lead lined radiation suits will provide an excellent muscle workout!
Martian Ice Caps:
Skiing Events and Ice Events: Bob sledding, Ice Hockey
Don’t forget your scarf! And remember Mar’s atmosphere is very thin so you don’t get any protection from the Sun’s energy bursts. You also don’t get to enjoy snowball fights on the Ice Caps – the atmosphere’s too weak and cold meaning snowballs can’t /hold together like they’re supposed to. And no! You can’t throw the ice; it’s very, very bad form!
A Martian Ice Cap sounds like the ideal skating rink but it is actually not that great for skating being cold and dark and snowing carbon dioxide. In fact it is probably better suited to Roller Skating!
Tethys [Saturn’s Moon] : Ithaca Chasm and Odysseus Crater:
- Great valley named after Greek Island Ithaca and the country ruled by Odysseus in mythology.
- 100 km wide, 3-5 km deep and 2000km long running ¾ of the way round the circumference making it one of the longest valleys in the Solar System.
- Runs approximately concentric with the massive Odysseus Crater, located on the opposite side of Tethys
- Giant Impact Crater – Odysseus 400 km diameter is almost 2/5 of the whole of Tethys.
Cold, airless and heavily cratered world! Surface temperature -187 degrees, very icy, and very reflective. Don’t forget the woolly scarf, thermal undies and snow/sun-glasses!!
Triton [Neptune’s Moon]:
- Relatively flat, sparsely cratered surface with extensive ridges, troughs, furrows, plateaus and valleys, and icy, smooth volcanic plains
- Perfect for X-Country Skiing.
- Highly reflective polar caps consisting of nitrogen and methane.
- A great spot to catch Galactic Olympic Ski Jumping!
- Mounds and round pits formed by icy lava flows; long double ridges of ice with troughs in the middle.
- Particularly well suited to Cosmic Snowboarding events.
To aid launch jumping Nitrogen-gas heated shoes for generating explosive puffs of gas when feet touch the ground, are strongly recommended for all competitors.
Crashing is not recommended!!